HEART OF TEXAS
GREYHOUND ADOPTION, INC.

H.O.T., the group with heart in their name and attitude!
San Antonio, Texas
"For the Love of The Greyhound"
(210) 621-0123
H.O.T. Logo



Love
H.O.T. HOUNDS
Updated 12/17/14

Love


[The Greyhound  -  A Brief History] [H.O.T. Hounds Available for Adoption]

[Greyhounds Available For Sponsorship]
Updated 11/25/14


Greyhound Bookmark

THE GREYHOUND
A BRIEF HISTORY


The Greyhound has always had a special place in history. Worshipped in ancient Egypt and Greece, the Greyhound was highly revered. Due to famine and pestilence during the Middle Ages, they nearly reached extinction. Clergymen saved the breed by protecting them from starvation and began breeding the Greyhound for nobility. Soon, the nobility realized that what the Clergymen were doing, they could do as well. A law was enacted prohibiting anyone but nobility from owning a Greyhound under penalty of possible death.

During the Renaissance, Greyhounds were immortalized in both paintings and literature.

In the 1700ís, Greyhound coursing became a popular sport across Europe. It was also during the mid-1700's, that Greyhounds and Bulldogs were cross-breed, resulting in a dog with the smooth coat and sleek body of a Greyhound and the courage of the Bulldog.

As Europeans immigrated to America, they brought their Greyhounds with them. Farmers, who initially used Greyhounds to chase rabbits from their fields, soon began wagering as to who owned the fastest hound.

Greyhound Racing in the Past

In the 1900ís, along with the artificial lure and oval track, came the first formal Greyhound racing and wagering.

Years of breeding for speed have given the Greyhound the body of an athlete and the grace of a dancer. The need to think fast on the track has given the Greyhound a high degree of intelligence.

Gable Revelation Running
For Fun At His Adoptive Home
RETURN TO TOP



H.O.T. HOUNDS LOOKING FOR THEIR FOREVER HOMES Return To Top
Codes Used To Describe H.O.T. Hounds

AMY, HOLLY HOUDINI, JADE, PENNY, TOBEY


H.O.T. HOUNDS AVAILABLE FOR SPONSORSHIP Return To Top
DAISY, FOSTER, MACARONI, MAMA

CODES USED TO DESCRIBE THE H.O.T. HOUNDS:

SMALL CRITTER SAFE (SCS):  Cats and smaller dogs should be no problem with these Greyhounds after a short acclimation period.

CAT SAFE (CS)  These Greyhounds have been living in a foster home with dog-saavy cats and have shown no interest at all! A short acclimation period may be necessary if the resident cat hasn't been around dogs. Unknown how these Greyhounds get along with smaller dogs, but there is usually no problem after an initial acclimation period.

CAT OR SMALL DOG TOLERANT (SCT):  These Greyhounds have been living in a foster home with dog-saavy cats or smaller dogs. 80% of the time, the Greyhound pays no attention to the other pet; it's that other 20% that needs to be worked on. Some "play" behaviors have been exhibited by the Greyhound towards the other pets. Close supervision is a must. Greyhound is muzzled when around the other pets until the adoptive owner feels 110% comfortable with the interaction. There will be a longer acclimation period needed with these Greyhounds, and the adoptive owners would need to follow the instructions given by the adoption counselor.

CAT TOLERANT/TESTING TBC (CTTBC):  Initially, these Greyhounds look like they are going to be fine with cats, but more through testing in a more individualized setting is needed before placing in a home with cats.

GREYHOUND SNOB (GS)  These Greyhounds are not tolerant of any other breed of dog. We usually know if they are safe with cats and this will be noted in the bio.

NOT SMALL CRITTER SAFE (NSCS):  These Greyhounds do fine with other Greyhounds and usually with other dog breeds of medium to large size. These Greyhounds will not be adopted into a home with cats or smaller dogs.

ONLY DOG/PET (OD):  These Greyhounds have shown a desire to be the only dog in their adoptive home. May or may not be SCS.

NO CHILDREN UNDER (NCU#):  These Greyhounds should not be placed in a home with children under the age indicated.


When new H.O.T. Hounds come in and we don't yet have a picture,
you may see "HEARTY", the Black TurboSpud Greyhound,
which is used compliments of TurboSpud.



Back To Home Page [Facts]  [Adopt]  [Fostering
[Happenings]  [H.O.T. Hounds]  [Who Is H.O.T.]
[Ways To Help]  [Donations]  [Links]